Thursday, June 2, 2011

Platon/Power


Attended the Platon lecture tonight @ the SVA theatre.
"Power" is an interesting concept.
Platon, (or as some referred to him, Mr. Platon, no need for first names) is quite cute. (Literally; he's like 4'8". We shook hands, he was shorter than me). I understand why people let him get so close.

A slight man with presence and wit, British, so the charming accent always helps. The stories he had about his subjects were funny and touching and told in various voices. 

I gotta say though, I don't like his photographs very much. 
I really wanted to.

They are too fish eye, too stylized, with some awkward cropping -  
Come on, you can get the whole hat in-- don't leave off the left side!
But who doesn't love celebrity, I say? 

His pictures of leaders from the UN were compelling, but not as good as the stories he told about them. But, I do think his heart is in the right place and that is comforting. 

As you can imagine I did not buy the book.

Pictures, Overall - pretty okay. a B, bordering on B+. 
Good but not Excellent.
His Heart, Overall - A+, Bravo. 
Keep taking those photos, Mr. P.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting review. I never much liked his images either. They always seemed incomplete to me, and by that I mean not quite thought out.

    ReplyDelete